Monday, July 23, 2012

Tire Swings And Juicy Red Tomatoes.


I swung lazily on the tire swing in our front yard; my bare feet dangling.  Sliding up and down, my hands were grasping the red rope attached to my swing.  I held on tightly and leaned up against it.  I remembered the day, a few weeks ago, when Dad hung the tire swing up with some help from our friends.  It was a hot humid Friday. Our home was filled with happiness all day; laughter, families, lots of friends, swimming, little feet, giggles from the pool, wet towels, stringed instruments, potlucks, great meaningful conversations, Jeep rides to the field, competitive Frisbee game, riding back home in the jeep; wind blowing our sweaty faces, looking to the west and seeing the faint sun set while the darkness covered everything else.  My mind raced back to reality as I found myself reminiscing.  I smiled at the happy days I had.  The soft summer breeze flew through my hair and across my forehead.  I looked above at the deep blue cloudless sky and watched the tree above me sway back and forth; rustling.  I spun in slow circles, admiring my house.  The colorful flowers were in full bloom as they leaned across the pathway to our front door; welcoming those who walked by. The green bushes and long blades of grass created that picture-perfect scene. I loved the flag that hung off of our porch; proclaiming our independence.  I was loving my Summer; everything about it was perfect.  I enjoyed those hot days when all three of us agreed to jump in the pool at the same time.  I love our "summer hair" everyday; especially when it flies everywhere and curls by itself.  I like sitting outside and having dinner with my family as the sun sinks down behind our house; afterward catching a glimpse of the fireflies as they come out one by one. I like our hammock; especially when my dad comes home from work and lies on it with his farmers tan showing on his ankles.  I love all those little things about summer; fresh watermelon at church, corn on the cob, cute summer dresses, sitting at my piano with the windows open playing Beethoven, early mornings filled with my many piano students, our lace curtains blowing with the wind through our family room, loud exciting family game nights, sidewalk chalk, and bubbles. I’m thankful for my church and the many conversations I get to have; the laughs we have in line, the fellowship meal together, the games we play afterwards.  I feel blessed to have those close friends stand behind me and encourage me as I share my story of someone I witnessed to.  I love smiling and being happy.  God's blessings shower us every day; no matter how small they come.  The trick is to be thankful for them all; even the not so happy ones.  His creation is so beautiful and powerful, I marvel every time I walk outside.  
The garden in our backyard has flourished.  Gathering the fresh, bright red, juicy, cherry tomatoes, I sigh with contentment.  They truly are a gift from God.  The dirt beneath my bare feet feels warm and free.  I lean over to make sure I picked all the ripe ones; leaving the green ones with hope of coming back tomorrow and seeing them bright red.  I head back to the house; enjoying a few of the tomatoes.  Dad looks closely at my basket, 
"That's all we got?" I look down, 
"Well, there was more. I must have eaten a few more than I thought." ;) I think it is amazing how God created the production of fruit and vegetables; how he orchestrated every little seed to bloom and produce.  My mind tries to wrap around how great my God actually is; I stand in awe.  I feel comforted to know He knows my thoughts and hopes for the future.  I worry and fret, but He guides my steps.  "He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, yet so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end." {Ecclesiastes 3:11} I feel save in the arms of my Savior as He leads me beside still waters. 
A few Sundays ago, our Pastor spoke out of Habakkuk. “ Look among the nations! Observe! Be astonished! Wonder! Because I am doing something in your days—You would not believe if you were told."-Habakkuk 1:5.  I felt God speaking to me, telling me not to be anxious. He is going to do wonderful things in my life; things I wouldn't believe even if He told me. Amazing.  I wake up each day and walk in faith knowing He loves me. {2 Corinthians 5:7} "We walk by faith, not by sight." I hear Him speak to me each day through my quiet time in the morning. "So I commended pleasure, for there is nothing good for a man under the sun except to eat and to drink and to be merry, and this will stand by him in his toils throughout the days of his life which God has given him under the sun." {Ecclesiastes 8:15}. I try to imagine what it must have been like to have been one of Jesus' disciples; following in His footsteps and watching Him perform miracles. I close my eyes and picture myself on the boat, speechless as He calmed the raging waves and winds.  I try to picture myself handing out the bread and fish to the four thousand; the wonder that must have filled the eyes of all those around Him.  A might fortress is my God.
Be a witness, be a testimony, keep strong in the faith, never doubt how mighty our God is. He will do a work in our lives, far more than we can imagine.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment