Tuesday, May 08, 2012

A Baby Nephew.


I gently carried my nephew over to his crib and slowly laid him down.  It was 7:45pm and way past his bedtime. He started whimpering and sat up right as my arms left his little body. His big grey eyes looked up at me as they filled with tears, and his quivering lip pooched out. My heart melted. But knowing he was overtired, I knew I had to let him be. He let out a cry as I closed the door softly.  Not wanting to leave him, I pushed my ear closely against the door.  He was crying.  I stood close by for several minutes hoping he would fall asleep soon.  Ten minutes past and there was still no sleeping nephew. I cautiously crept into his bedroom.  He stood up, hopeful that I would grant his wish. I pick him up and held him, drying his tears.  Taking his blanket in one arm and him in the other, I walked over to the rocker and sat down.  Through the blinds, the moonlight fell upon us. He curled up his body and laid his head down on my shoulder.  I rocked back and forth, rubbing his back and running my fingers through his blonde hair. Looking up at me, he giggled. I held back my urge to return his smile. 

"No," I said softly, but sternly. "Lay back down." His feet wiggled through the blankets as he obediently laid his head back on my shoulder.  His long eyelashes batted up and down as he grew sleepier. Every few minutes his big eyes would hover over to my face.  I saw the excitement behind them, and the urge to giggle, run, and play with is Aunt.  He read my face as I hushed and kept on rocking.  Slowly, little by little, his eyes closed. I ran my ringers over his soft baby skin.  I breathed in the sweet smell of baby lotion. This was happiness; the feeling of a sleeping baby in my arms. He was so innocent and young; so happy and not having a care in the world. He slept so peacefully. I felt his body move up and down as he breathed and I felt his warm breath on my neck.  I sat there rocking him, not wanting this moment to pass. 

He makes me smile the way he giggles and bounces up and down whenever he sees us. I like the way he blinks those long eyelashes at me when I say "no".   I struggled to understand how anyone could not want a baby, or how someone could send something so sweet and beautiful away.  Could there be anything in this world cuter than my baby nephew?   I don't think so.        (: 



 

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog, Kelle!!! Your posts are so much fun and you write so well :)
    ~Abby <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby, Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoy reading them. Thanks for commenting! :) :)

      -Kelle

      Delete