Monday, May 07, 2012

Friday.

   Friday night. Blades of grass brushed against my ankles as I ran from one end of the field to the other.  I breathed deeply, catching my breath.  The air was fresh and crisp. I stopped and looked upon my surroundings. The setting Sun was peering through the trees across the horizon.  Its rays cast perfect lighting on our Frisbee game. The breeze was gently blowing, and I looked across to the other end zone and watched as my team played defense.  Shouts of victory suddenly came as the opposing team made a miraculous catch, which I have to admit was pretty incredible. With heads hanging and feet dragging, my teammates made there way back to where I was standing.  High fives went around and voices of encouragement commented on the past few passes.  Determining to play harder, we picked up our hurt pride and set out to score.  Even though we were losing, I could feel the excitement from our team.  Voices of laughter and shouts of players communicating with each other flew through the air. 9:00 came all to fast as we picked up our belongings, looked for lost keys, and made our way back to my house.  We ended up losing, but I doubt half of my team even cares.

     I like running, and catching; high fives and "Go teams".  I like being able to laugh with friends when we make some awful throws. Or laugh at friends when they throw the Frisbee the complete opposite direction from where they intended it to go, almost hitting a moving car. ;)  I laugh as I remember my friend getting asked if I was "his mother" by some random people watching, not noticing the major height difference. I like being able to play with older friends, and younger friends. I love not having to worry about ages, but just having a good time with each other.

     I am thankful that God brought us out of the age-segregated mindset.  I can remember being involved in Sunday School and Youth Group with people "my own age". I remember thinking it was strange if you "hung out" with a younger child, or if you had a brief conversation with a parent that you were considered an "a-dult".  I remember if you said your siblings or your mother was your best friend you were looked down upon.  I look back thankful that God brought me some of the best friendships I have now.  Some of my best friends happen to be several years younger than me, and two of my best friends happen to be my mom and my sister. I love being with younger kids. The way they light up when you talk to them. And if I remember something they told me months ago, they think it's the greatest because a "big kid" remembered.  I have had some of the most interesting and intense conversations with ten year olds, and some of the funniest with forty year olds.  I learn new things from those "not" my age than I would from people my age. Funny how that works. (: 

   Thanking God for moments like these. (: 

  

1 comment:

  1. Somebody should post a sign on that street. Warning: Drive with caution, Peterson Frisbee players at work. :D That car barely made it. A fond memory that will most likely never die.

    Stephen M.

    ReplyDelete