Thursday, May 31, 2012

Ripsticks, Water Balloons, and Popsicles.


Sunday. The breeze blew against our hot sticky faces as we walked barefoot back from the field.  It was late afternoon when our Frisbee game ended.  We ran until our legs were sore, cheered until our voices were horse, and played until the sun sank down behind the buildings.  Exhausted and tired, we trudged back to the house reminiscing of the days when we were ten.  

It was one of those after-church gatherings.  The kind where we raced home from church to change out of our Sunday clothes, grab the food, and jump back in the car to continue Sunday fellowship.  The mummer of sweet conversation surrounded the living room where the mothers' neatly relaxed.  Some of the dads were intently competing in a game of Corn Toss while the rest of them were found talking, out on the deck, next to the grill.  Almost every room of the house was occupied by children--playing board games, Foosball, Ping Pong--and giggling.  It had been a fun day.  The humidity was high, but that wasn't about to stop us from having fun.  The day was filled; water balloon launching, wet clothes, Knock-Out, Ripsticks, me learning how to dunk a basketball and getting laughed at, third place water balloon toss champs, Jeep rides, watermelon seeds, hamburgers, Joseph lying down in the end zone due to a stomach ache from twelve pieces of watermelon, candy canes, and lots of laughing.  

My friend and I stood on the driveway as the sky grew dark. We stood close to each other but remained silent. It was one of those moments where we didn't mind not talking; we stood there together soaking it all in. We watched the little girls sitting on the steps giggling and eating their Popsicles.  We watched the boys balance on the Ripsticks and laughed as they kept falling and trying again.  I was so thankful for a beautiful day.  

After a few minutes, we broke the silence.  We shared the feelings we felt and the happiness we had that day.  We began to share our hearts; our thoughts, dreams, struggles, and worries.  We confided in each other and shared God's love for us.  Talking over our plans for life, we both realized we were at the same spot; having the same thoughts and doubts.  As I talked with her, I felt encouraged. It can be hard in life, not knowing the next step, or where God wants you.  All we can do is pray and wait for His timing.  We wrapped our arms around each other and quietly walked to the side of the house.  The damp grass was cold against our bare feet as we sat down.  Holding hands, we dedicated our worries to the Lord. We prayed for God's plan, and for patience in waiting.  We prayed for His blessing, and His provision. We prayed for His love to radiate through us to others. The mosquitoes were biting, but I was determined not to flinch.  Moments like these are far too important to be distracted.  

God has plans for us; He knows our hearts.  I am thankful for the conversations I can have with my friends, and the heart-to-heart discussions we share. This is only one of the many I have been blessed with.  I am thankful for the happiness He places inside my heart.  He is my joy and strength every day. I love watching where He places me, and who He brings to talk to me. He has me where He wants me, and I am content with that.  (: 

3 comments: